''. Eaton SB, Konner M. Paleolithic nutrition: a consideration of its nature and current implications. N Engl J Med 1985;312:283–9.[Medline]
2. Eaton SB. The ancestral human diet: what was it and should it be a paradigm for contemporary nutrition? Proc Nutr Soc 2006;65:1–6.[Medline]
3. Hildes JA, Schaefer O. The changing picture of neoplastic disease in the western and central Canadian Arctic (1950–1980). Can Med Assoc J 1984;130:25–32.[Abstract]
4. Schaefer O. The changing health picture in the Canadian North. Can J Ophthalmol 1973;8:196–204.[Medline]
5. Shephard RJ, Rode A. The health consequences of "modernization": evidence from circumpolar peoples. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press, 1996.
6. Trends in intake of energy and macronutrients—United States, 1971–2000. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2004;53:80–2.[Medline]
7. Bravata DM, Sanders L, Huang J, Krumholz HM, Olkin I, Gardner CD. Efficacy and safety of low-carbohydrate diets: a systematic review. JAMA 2003;289:1837–50.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
8. Westman EC, Mavropoulos J, Yancy WS Jr, Volek JS. A review of low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets. Curr Atheroscler Rep 2003;5:476–83.[Medline]
9. Larosa JC, Fry AG, Muesing R, Rosing DR. Effects of high-protein, low-carbohydrate dieting on plasma lipoproteins and body weight. J Am Diet Assoc 1980;77:264–70.[Medline]
10. Cahill GF Jr. Starvation in man. N Engl J Med 1970;282:668–75.[Medline]
11. Krieger JW, Sitren HS, Daniels MJ, Langkamp-Henken B. Effects of variation in protein and carbohydrate intake on body mass and composition during energy restriction: a meta-regression. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;83:260–74.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
12. Volek JS, Sharman MJ, Love DM, et al. Body composition and hormonal responses to a carbohydrate-restricted diet. Metabolism 2002;51:864–70.[Medline]
13. Boden G, Sargrad K, Homko C, Mozzoli M, Stein TP. Effect of a low-carbohydrate diet on appetite, blood glucose levels, and insulin resistance in obese patients with type 2 diabetes. Ann Intern Med 2005;142:403–11.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
14. Harber MP, Schenk S, Barkan AL, Horowitz JF. Alterations in carbohydrate metabolism in response to short-term dietary carbohydrate restriction. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2005;289:E306–12.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
15. Bisschop PH, De Sain-Van Der Velden MG, Stellaard F, et al. Dietary carbohydrate deprivation increases 24-hour nitrogen excretion without affecting postabsorptive hepatic or whole body protein metabolism in healthy men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003;88:3801–5.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
16. Bisschop PH, Pereira Arias AM, Ackermans MT, et al. The effects of carbohydrate variation in isocaloric diets on glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis in healthy men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000;85:1963–7.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
17. Bisschop PH, de Metz J, Ackermans MT, et al. Dietary fat content alters insulin-mediated glucose metabolism in healthy men. Am J Clin Nutr 2001;73:554–9.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
18. Allick G, Sprangers F, Weverling GJ, et al. Free fatty acids increase hepatic glycogen content in obese males. Metabolism 2004;53:886–93.[Medline]
19. Bisschop PH, Bandsma RH, Stellaard F, et al. Low-fat, high-carbohydrate and high-fat, low-carbohydrate diets decrease primary bile acid synthesis in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 2004;79:570–6.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
20. Phinney SD, Bistrian BR, Evans WJ, Gervino E, Blackburn GL. The human metabolic response to chronic ketosis without caloric restriction: preservation of submaximal exercise capability with reduced carbohydrate oxidation. Metabolism 1983;32:769–76.[Medline]
21. Noakes M, Foster PR, Keogh JB, James AP, Mamo JC, Clifton PM. Comparison of isocaloric very low carbohydrate/high saturated fat and high carbohydrate/low saturated fat diets on body composition and cardiovascular risk. Nutr Metab 2006;3;7.
22. Allick G, Bisschop PH, Ackermans MT, et al. A low-carbohydrate/high-fat diet improves glucoregulation in type 2 diabetes mellitus by reducing postabsorptive glycogenolysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004;89:6193–7.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
23. Meckling KA, O'Sullivan C, Saari D. Comparison of a low-fat diet to a low-carbohydrate diet on weight loss, body composition, and risk factors for diabetes and cardiovascular disease in free-living, overweight men and women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004;89:2717–23.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
24. Nordmann AJ, Nordmann A, Briel M, et al. Effects of low-carbohydrate vs low-fat diets on weight loss and cardiovascular risk factors. Arch Intern Med 2006;166:285–93.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
25. Nickols-Richardson SM, Coleman MM, Volpe JM, Hosig KW. Perceived hunger is lower and weight loss is greater in overweight premenopausal women consuming a low-carbohydrate/high-protein vs high-carbohydrate/low-fat diet. J Am Diet Assoc 2005;105:1433–7.[Medline]
26. Miller BVM III, Bertino JSJ, Reed RG, et al. An evaluation of the Atkins' Diet. Metabol Syndr Relat Disord 2003;1:299–309.
27. Rodin J, Wack J, Ferrannini E, DeFronzo RA. Effect of insulin and glucose on feeding behavior. Metabolism 1985;34:826–31.[Medline]
28. Holt SH, Miller JB. Increased insulin responses to ingested foods are associated with lessened satiety. Appetite 1995;24:43–54.[Medline]
29. Valasquez-Mieyer PA, Cowan PA, Arheart KL, et al. Suppression of insulin secretion is associated with weight loss and altered macronutrient intake and preference in a subset of obese adults. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2003;27:219–26.[Medline]
30. Feinman RD, Makowske M. Metabolic syndrome and low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets in the medical school biochemistry curriculum. Metabol Syndr Relat Disord 2003;1:189–97.
31. Silva JE. The thermogenic effect of thyroid hormone and its clinical implications. Ann Intern Med 2003;139:205–13.[Free Full Text]
32. Cannon B, Nedergaard J. Brown adipose tissue: function and physiological significance. Physiol Rev 2004;84:277–359.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
33. Hirsch J, Hudgins LC, Liebel RL, Rosenbaum M. Diet composition and energy balance in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 1998;67(suppl):551S–5S.[Abstract]
34. MacLean PS, Higgins JA, Johnson GS, et al. Enhanced metabolic efficiency contributes to weight regain after weight loss in obesity-prone rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2004;287:R1306–15.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
35. Bluher M, Michael MD, Peroni OD, et al. Adipose tissue selective insulin receptor knockout protects against obesity and obesity-related glucose intolerance. Dev Cell 2002;3:25–38.[Medline]
36. Chen HC, Jensen DR, Myers HM, Eckel RH, Farese RVJ. Obesity resistance and enhanced glucose metabolism in mice transplanted with white adipose tissue lacking acyl CoA:diacylglycerol acyltransferase 1. J Clin Invest 2003;111:1715–22.[Medline]
37. Kraemer FB, Shen WJ. Hormone-sensitive lipase knockouts. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2006;3:12.[Medline]
38. Feinman RD, Fine EJ. "A calorie is a calorie" violates the second law of thermodynamics. Nutr J 2004;3:9.[Medline]
39. Fine EJ, Feinman RD. Thermodynamics of weight loss diets. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2004;1:15.[Medline]
40. Welch GR. Some problems in the usage of Gibbs free energy in biochemistry. J Theor Biol 1985;114:433–46.[Medline]
41. Feinman RD, Fine EJ. Nonequilibrium thermodynamics and energy efficiency in weight loss diets. Theoret Biol Med Model (in press).
42. Kabashima T, Kawaguchi T, Wadzinski BE, Uyeda K. Xylulose 5-phosphate mediates glucose-induced lipogenesis by xylulose 5-phosphate-activated protein phosphatase in rat liver. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2003;100:5107–12.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
43. Gumbiner B, Wendel JA, McDermott MP. Effects of diet composition and ketosis on glycemia during very-low-energy-diet therapy in obese patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Am J Clin Nutr 1996;63:110–5.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
44. Rizza RA, Mandarino LJ, Genest J, Baker BA, Gerich JE. Production of insulin resistance by hyperinsulinaemia in man. Diabetologia 1985;28:70–5.[Medline]
45. Westman EC, Yancy WS Jr, Haub MD, Volek JS. Insulin resistance from a low carbohydrate, high fat diet perspective. Metabol Syndr Relat Disord 2005;3:14–8.
46. Phinney SD. Ketogenic diets and physical performance. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2004;1:2.[Medline]
47. Peters SJ, Harris RA, Wu P, Pehleman TL, Heigenhauser GJ, Spriet LL. Human skeletal muscle PDH kinase activity and isoform expression during a 3-day high-fat/low-carbohydrate diet. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2001;281:E1151–8.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
48. Bergstrom J, Hultman E. A study of glycogen metabolism in man. J Clin Lab Invest 1967;19:218–29.[Medline]
49. Christensen EH, Hansen O. Zur Methodik der respiratorischen Quotient-Bestimmungen in Ruhe and bei Arbeit. Skand Arch Physiol 1939;81:137–71 (in German).
50. Sondike SB, Copperman N, Jacobson MS. Effects of a low-carbohydrate diet on weight loss and cardiovascular risk factor in overweight adolescents. J Pediatr 2003;142:253–8.[Medline]
51. Foster GD, Wyatt HR, Hill JO, et al. A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity. N Engl J Med 2003;348:2082–90.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
52. Samaha FF, Iqbal N, Seshadri P, et al. A low-carbohydrate as compared with a low-fat diet in severe obesity. N Engl J Med 2003;348:2074–81.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
53. Stern L, Iqbal N, Seshadri P, et al. The effects of low-carbohydrate versus conventional weight loss diets in severely obese adults: one-year follow-up of a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2004;140:778–85.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
54. Brehm BJ, Seeley RJ, Daniels SR, D'Alessio DA. A randomized trial comparing a very low carbohydrate diet and a calorie-restricted low fat diet on body weight and cardiovascular risk factors in healthy women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003;88:1617–23.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
55. Yancy WS Jr, Olsen MK, Guyton JR, Bakst RP, Westman EC. A low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet versus a low-fat diet to treat obesity and hyperlipidemia: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 2004;140:769–77.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
56. Seshadri P, Iqbal N, Stern L, et al. A randomized study comparing the effects of a low-carbohydrate diet and a conventional diet on lipoprotein subfractions and C-reactive protein levels in patients with severe obesity. Am J Med 2004;117:398–405.[Medline]
57. Westman EC, Yancy WS Jr, Olsen MK, Dudley T, Guyton JR. Effect of a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet program compared to a low-fat diet on fasting lipoprotein subclasses. Int J Cardiol 2006;110:212–6.[Medline]
58. Dansinger ML, Gleason JA, Griffith JL, Selker HP, Schaefer EJ. Comparison of the Atkins, Ornish, Weight Watchers, and Zone diets for weight loss and heart disease risk reduction: a randomized trial. JAMA 2005;293:43–53.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
59. Truby H, Baic S, deLooy A, et al. Randomised controlled trial of four commercial weight loss programmes in the UK: initial findings from the BBC "diet trials. " BMJ Online 2006;332:1309–14.[Medline]
60. Wood RJ, Volek JS, Liu Y, Shachter NS, Contois JH, Fernandez ML. Carbohydrate restriction alters lipoprotein metabolism by modifying VLDL, LDL, and HDL subfraction distribution and size in overweight men. J Nutr 2006;136:384–9.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
61. Sharman MJ, Volek JS. Weight loss leads to reductions in inflammatory biomarkers after a very low-carbohydrate and low-fat diet in overweight men. Clin Sci (London) 2004;107:365–9.
62. Sharman MJ, Kraemer WJ, Love DM, et al. A ketogenic diet favorably affects serum biomarkers for cardiovascular disease in normal-weight men. J Nutr 2002;132:1879–85.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
63. Dashti HM, Bo-Abbas YY, Asfar SK, et al. Ketogenic diet modifies the risk factors of heart disease in obese patients. Nutrition 2003;19:901–2.[Medline]
64. Dashti HM, Mathew TC, Hussein T, et al. Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients. Exp Clin Cardiol 2004;9:200–5.
65. Alnasir FA, Fateha BE. Low carbohydrate diet. Its effects on selected body parameters of obese patients. Saudi Med J 2003;24:949–52.
66. Gann D. A low-carbohydrate diet in overweight patients undergoing stable statin therapy raises high-density lipoprotein and lowers triglycerides substantially. Clin Cardiol 2004;27:563–4.[Medline]
67. Hickey JT, Hickey L, Yancy WS Jr, Hepburn J, Westman EC. Clinical use of a carbohydrate-restricted diet to treat the dyslipidemia of the metabolic syndrome. Metabol Syndr Relat Disord 2003;1:227–32.
68. Vernon MC, Mavropoulos J, Transue M, Yancy WS Jr, Westman EC. Clinical experience of a carbohydrate-restricted diet: effect on diabetes mellitus. Metabol Syndr Relat Disord 2003;1:233–7.
69. O'Neill DF, Westman EC, Bernstein RK. The effects of a low-carbohydrate regimen on glycemic control and serum lipids in diabetes mellitus. Metabol Syndr Relat Disord 2003;1:291–8.
70. Yancy WS Jr, Vernon MC, Westman EC. A pilot trial of a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet in patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Metabol Syndr Relat Disord 2003;1:239–43.
71. Nielsen JV, Jonsson E, Nilsson AK. Lasting improvement of hyperglycaemia and body weight: low-carbohydrate diet in type 2 diabetes—a brief report. Ups J Med Sci 2005;110:69–73.[Medline]
72. Nielsen JV, Jonsson E, Ivarsson A. A low carbohydrate diet in Type 1 Diabetes: clinical experience—a brief report. Upsala J Med Sci 2005;110:267–73.[Medline]
73. Miyashita Y, Koide N, Ohtsuka M, et al. Beneficial effect of low carbohydrate in low calorie diets on visceral fat reduction in type 2 diabetic patients with obesity. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2004;65:235–41.[Medline]
74. Hays JH, Gorman RT, Shakir KM. Results of use of metformin and replacement of starch with saturated fat in diets of patients with type 2 diabetes. Endocr Pract 2002;8:177–83.[Medline]
75. Bailes Jr JR, Strow MT, Werthammer J, McGinnis RA, Elitsur Y. Effect of low-carbohydrate, unlimited calorie diet on the treatment of childhood obesity: a prospective controlled study. Metabol Syndr Relat Disord 2003;1:221–5.
76. O'Dea K. Westernization, insulin resistance and diabetes in Australian Aborigines. Med J Austr 1991;155:258–64.
77. O'Dea K. Marked improvement in carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in diabetic Australian Aborigines after temporary reversion to traditional lifestyle. Diabetes 1984;33:596–603.[Abstract]
78. Robinson E, Gebre Y, Pickering J, Petawabano B, Superville B, Lavallee C. Effect of bush living on aboriginal Canadians of the eastern James Bay Region with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Chron Dis Canada 1995;16:1–7.
79. Volek JS, Feinman RD. Carbohydrate restriction improves the features of metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome may be defined by the response to carbohydrate restriction. Nutr Metab 2005;2:31.
81. Kossoff EH, Krauss GL, McGrogan JR, Freeman JM. Efficacy of the Atkins diet as therapy for intractable epilepsy. Neurology 2003;61:1789–91.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
82. Husain AM, Yancy WS Jr, Carwile ST, Miller PP, Westman EC. Diet therapy for narcolepsy. Neurology 2004;62:2300–2.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
83. Yancy WS Jr, Provenzale D, Westman EC. Improvement of gastroesophageal reflux disease after initiation of a low-carbohydrate diet: five brief case reports. Altern Ther Health Med 2001;7:120, 116–9.[Medline]
84. Austin GL, Thiny MT, Westman EC, Yancy WS Jr, Shaheen NJ. A very low carbohydrate diet improves gastroesophageal reflux and its symptoms: a pilot study. Dig Dis Sci 2006;51:1307–2.[Medline]
85. Sladden MJ, Johnston GA. Complete resolution of dermatitis herpetiformis with the Atkins Diet. Br J Dermatol 2006;154:565–6.[Medline]
86. O'Brien KD, Brehm BJ, Seeley RJ, et al. Diet-induced weight loss is associated with decreases in plasma serum amyloid a and C-reactive protein independent of dietary macronutrient composition in obese subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005;90:2244–9.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
87. van Heel DA, Dart J, Nichols S, Jewell DP, Playford RJ. Novel presentation of coeliac disease after following the Atkins low carbohydrate diet. Gut 2005;54:1342–50.[Free Full Text]
88. Veech RL. The therapeutic implications of ketone bodies: the effects of ketone bodies in pathological conditions: ketosis, ketogenic diet, redox states, insulin resistance, and mitochondrial metabolism. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 2004;70:309–19.[Medline]
89. Seyfried TN, Mukherjee P. Targeting energy metabolism in brain cancer: review and hypothesis. Nutr Metab 2005;2:30.
90. Carter JD, Vasey FB, Valeriano J. The effect of a low-carbohydrate diet on bone turnover. Osteoporos Int 2006;17:1398–403 (Epub 2006 May 23).[Medline]
91. Buse GJ, Riley KD, Dress CM, Neumaster TD. Patient with gemfibrozil-controlled hypertriglyceridemia that developed acute pancreatitis after starting ketogenic diet. Curr Surg 2004;61:224–6.[Medline]
92. Junig JT, Lehrmann JA. A psychotic episode associated with the Atkins Diet in a patient with bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord 2005;7:305–6.[Medline]
93. Beatty SJ, Mehta BH, Rodis JL. Decreased warfarin effect after initiation of high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets. Ann Pharmacother 2005;39:744–7.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
94. Kalvass JC, Phinney SD, Vernon MC, Rosedale R, Westman EC. Comment: decreased warfarin effect after initiation of high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets. Ann Pharmacother 2005;39:1371–2.[Free Full Text]