The Grain Brain Quiz
I'm going to have at this abomination that is sweeping the nation faster than Wheat Belly and Fructose Alarmism combined, or so it seems. But Grain Brain promises to be a classic from first blush. Yes ... I just got my "hands" on a Kindle copy.
Here's a risk assessment quiz (Kindle Locations 210-227) ... note that if your answer is "sometimes" you are instructed to answer True.
1. I eat bread (any kind). TRUE/ FALSE
2. I drink fruit juice (any kind). TRUE/ FALSE
3. I have more than one serving of fruit a day. TRUE/ FALSE
4. I choose agave over sugar. TRUE/ FALSE
5. I get out of breath on my daily walk. TRUE/ FALSE
6. My cholesterol is below 150. TRUE/ FALSE
7. I have diabetes. TRUE/ FALSE
8. I am overweight. TRUE/ FALSE
9. I eat rice or pasta (any kind). TRUE/ FALSE
10. I drink milk. TRUE/ FALSE
11. I don’t exercise regularly. TRUE/ FALSE
12. Neurological conditions run in my family. TRUE/ FALSE
13. I don’t take a vitamin D supplement. TRUE/ FALSE
14. I eat a low-fat diet. TRUE/ FALSE
15. I take a statin. TRUE/ FALSE
16. I avoid high-cholesterol foods. TRUE/ FALSE
17. I drink soda (diet or regular). TRUE/ FALSE
18. I don’t drink wine. TRUE/ FALSE
19. I drink beer. TRUE/ FALSE
20. I eat cereal (any kind). TRUE/ FALSE
A perfect score on this test would be a whopping zero “true” answers. If you answered true to one question, your brain— and your entire nervous system— is at greater risk for disease and disorder than if you scored a zero. And the more trues you tallied up, the higher your risk. If you scored more than a ten, you’re putting yourself into the hazard zone for serious neurological ailments that can be prevented but cannot necessarily be cured once you are diagnosed. (Kindle Locations 227-230)
There you have it. It's amazing I can even write this post. What a load of hooey from the get go.
He goes on to misrepresent our "Ancestors Diet" as 75% fat, 5% carb and 20% protein, while the US Recommendations are stated as 20% fat, 20% protein and 60% carbs. Lots to deal with in this book at some point. I'll share as I go along.