I'm going to have at this abomination that is sweeping the nation faster than Wheat Belly and Fructose Alarmism combined, or so it seems. But Grain Brain promises to be a classic from first blush. Yes ... I just got my "hands" on a Kindle copy.
Here's a risk assessment quiz (Kindle Locations 210-227) ... note that if your answer is "sometimes" you are instructed to answer True.
1. I eat bread (any kind). TRUE/ FALSE
2. I drink fruit juice (any kind). TRUE/ FALSE
3. I have more than one serving of fruit a day. TRUE/ FALSE
4. I choose agave over sugar. TRUE/ FALSE
5. I get out of breath on my daily walk. TRUE/ FALSE
6. My cholesterol is below 150. TRUE/ FALSE
7. I have diabetes. TRUE/ FALSE
8. I am overweight. TRUE/ FALSE
9. I eat rice or pasta (any kind). TRUE/ FALSE
10. I drink milk. TRUE/ FALSE
11. I don’t exercise regularly. TRUE/ FALSE
12. Neurological conditions run in my family. TRUE/ FALSE
13. I don’t take a vitamin D supplement. TRUE/ FALSE
14. I eat a low-fat diet. TRUE/ FALSE
15. I take a statin. TRUE/ FALSE
16. I avoid high-cholesterol foods. TRUE/ FALSE
17. I drink soda (diet or regular). TRUE/ FALSE
18. I don’t drink wine. TRUE/ FALSE
19. I drink beer. TRUE/ FALSE
20. I eat cereal (any kind). TRUE/ FALSE
A perfect score on this test would be a whopping zero “true” answers. If you answered true to one question, your brain— and your entire nervous system— is at greater risk for disease and disorder than if you scored a zero. And the more trues you tallied up, the higher your risk. If you scored more than a ten, you’re putting yourself into the hazard zone for serious neurological ailments that can be prevented but cannot necessarily be cured once you are diagnosed. (Kindle Locations 227-230)
There you have it. It's amazing I can even write this post. What a load of hooey from the get go.
He goes on to misrepresent our "Ancestors Diet" as 75% fat, 5% carb and 20% protein, while the US Recommendations are stated as 20% fat, 20% protein and 60% carbs. Lots to deal with in this book at some point. I'll share as I go along.