las

Welcome all seeking refuge from low carb dogma!

“To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact”
~ Charles Darwin (it's evolutionary baybeee!)

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Before The New Atkins

Westman, Volek and Phinney were among the contributers (and Westman headlined) the following, partially Atkins Foundation funded, review:

Low-carbohydrate Nutrition and Metabolism

I can't recommend reading this highly enough.

I've listed the references in a separate post, numbered (the formatting farkled the last few but I'll let you count ;) )

For a non-gimmicky discussion of how low carb diets REALLY work for weight loss, this is where it's at!

2 comments:

arus said...

hi carbsane,
as far as i can see you highlight the possible negative effects of long term VLC diets. nonetheless you advocate a low carb eating style. (lets say 50-150g/carbs/day). right? (goal: improving IR, DM type 2)

i wonder what is the rational behind. if improving one's Insulinsensitivity why not aiming at depleting IMCL due to HC/LF?

does this have sth to do with that: "Because fatty acid use and oxidation [are] impaired in patients with type 2 diabetes, the 14-d high-fat diet seemed to have reversed this defect by allowing adaptation of fuel selection toward fatty acids as the main energy substrates and maintaining glucose oxidation at a minimum."
stated in Low-carbohydrate Nutrition and Metabolism

CarbSane said...

@Arus: For weight loss - e.g. in deficit - LC improves IR. Over the long haul in maintenance or if one is gaining weight it would appear that LCHF makes one IR. I disagree that IMCL buildup is due to HC/LF - such a diet is probably least likely to cause IMCL. IMCL results from a state of overnutrition.

I don't advocate eating any particular way. I did VLC to lose weight but I started looking at this stuff to assure myself it was healthy for the long term. What I'm learning is that it does not appear to be the way to go.

I still eat fairly low carb because it helps me control my weight, but I never did eat a particularly high fat version of it this go round - and certainly wasn't part of this "up the fat" movement. The prevailing "wisdom" that a "proper" LC diet is high fat, moderate protein, low carb is concerning to me. Folks eating like 75% fat don't seem to be faring all that well over several years and statistically zero humans ever ate that way.

Post a Comment

Moderation is currently on. Thanks in advance for your patience.